Why neurodivergent employees are an asset to your business
Posted on April 22, 2022
Neurodiversity is a term used to describe the diversity of human brains and nervous systems. This includes people with conditions like ADHD, autism, Tourette’s syndrome, dyslexia, bipolar disorder, and OCD. Neurodivergent people have differences in the way they think, learn, and process information. Each of these conditions can present unique challenges for individuals who have them, as well as for their families and employers.
Neurodiversity is often seen as a hindrance in the workplace or viewed as a burden, something that needs to be accommodated or dealt with. Unfortunately:
- There is a belief that neurodivergent employees are not as productive as their neurotypical counterparts.
- There is a fear that neurodivergent employees will not be able to conform to the company’s culture and values.
- There is a perception that neurodivergent employees are more difficult
- There is a lack of understanding of how neurodiversity can actually benefit businesses.
Fortunately, there is growing recognition that neurodiversity can actually be a huge asset in the business world.
One example of neurodivergence is ADHD, or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, which is a mental disorder that can make it difficult for people to focus and stay on task. For business owners and managers, this can pose a challenge when it comes to hiring employees. There are a few reasons why companies might avoid hiring someone with ADHD. First, they may be concerned that the employee will have difficulty focusing on their work. Second, they may be worried that the employee will be disruptive or act out in ways that are disruptive to the business. Finally, they may simply not be familiar with ADHD and how it can impact someone’s ability to do their job.
However, there are also a number of reasons why companies should consider hiring someone with ADHD.
- Individuals with ADHD are often very creative and have the ability to think outside the box. This can be a major advantage in brainstorming sessions or when coming up with new ideas for a business.
- Individuals with ADHD are often very passionate and driven. This can be a major asset in the business world as it can lead to increased productivity and creativity.
- Individuals with ADHD often have high levels of energy which can be beneficial in a fast-paced work environment.
- ADHD can also be an asset in the business world because individuals with ADHD are often good at multitasking and managing multiple projects at once.
Many larger companies (including Google, Microsoft, Apple, and Facebook) have strategies in place to hire neuroatypical candidates. For example, Google is committed to diversity in the workplace and believes it is good for business. The company has a long history of supporting diversity initiatives, and its DEI strategy is designed to build on that commitment. Google’s DEI strategy brings in more revenue because of diversity. By appealing to a wider range of consumers, Google is able to tap into new markets and grow its bottom line. Additionally, businesses that value diversity is perceived as being more innovative and forward-thinking, which can attract top talent.
Google is one of the world’s most popular and well-known companies, so when they take action on diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI), it carries a lot of weight. Google has a three-pillar DEI strategy: people, products, and community.
- The people pillar is all about diversity within the company. Google strives to have a workforce that is representative of the populations they serve. This includes diversity in race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, and more. Google also focuses on creating an inclusive environment where everyone can feel comfortable and succeed.
- The product pillar is about making sure Google’s products are accessible and useful for everyone. This includes diversity in language, culture, and abilities. Google also works to ensure that its products do not perpetuate bias or discrimination.
- The community pillar is about supporting diversity and inclusion in the wider world. Google does this by partnering with organizations that promote DEI, investing in diversity-focused research, and promoting diversity through their products and services.
Google’s three-pillar DEI strategy ensures that the company is diversity-focused at every level.
When it comes to business success, few things are more important than following through on strategies that impact employees. After all, your employees are the backbone of your company – they’re the ones who keep things running smoothly day in and day out. So why do neurodivergent individuals make more money for the company? It’s simple: they’re more productive. Neurodivergent individuals are often able to work faster and harder than their neurotypical counterparts. They’re also less likely to get bored with their work, and they’re more likely to come up with new and innovative ideas.
So if you’re looking to increase your company’s bottom line, neurodivergent individuals are a great asset. Include them in your business, and watch your profits grow.
- S Prev